Distinctive Handcrafted Jewelry

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Monday was a big day.

Last Monday was a significant day in the life of Jim Davis Designs - we got our first order !!!  Even though I live in North Carolina, I'm sure they heard my shouts and cheers clear out in California.  After waiting for about 7 weeks since I opened my ETSY shop (and not waiting very patiently I might add), I arose on Monday morning to find an order sitting in my Open Orders file.  Somehow the world seemed a little brighter that day.  And it has renewed my inner fire, knowing that more orders will follow.

Then on Tuesday I received a message from a lady who was interested in one of my bracelets, but wondered if I could make it into an anklet.  Eureka, do I smell a second order in the works ??  We exchanged a few back and forths, and finally she indicated that she was ready to order, so I set up a "Special Order" listing so she could go ahead and place her order.  After several hours of waiting for her to place her order, I got a message from her indicating that she was having difficulty paying with her charge card.  The ETSY procedure for checking out, and the associated screens, can be a little confusing so I gave her instructions about the steps to follow, and at this moment I am still waiting to see that second order appear.  It is frustrating when you get that close to a customer order and then run into an obstacle over which you have no control.  But things do seem to be looking up with 1 1/2 orders under my belt in just the last 3 days.

I am working on some things that I am hoping will increase the traffic to my shop, because it is all a game of numbers.  The more views you get per day, the greater the odds that one of them will turn into an order.  You can have the greatest products in the world, at tremendous prices, but if no one ever sees them your sales will not happen.  So one of my next posts will get into my marketing activities.  I the meantime, I need to go ship an order :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment